Thursday, November 10, 2005

Bambino che strozza l'oca


Bambino che strozza l'oca,
originally uploaded by kdobey.



Capitoline Museum - Bambino che strozza l'oca (Child Throttling a Goose (2 BC)`



This is interesting not only because it's a roman copy of a greek original from 3 BC but also because we saw the greek original in paris a few years earlier and i took a picture then too.
(103-0390_IMG)


Comment Via Flickr
M+MD has posted a comment:
Prove it!

:) Unfortunately that was in my pre-digital days, and moving house a few times since then, means I have only the vaguest idea where the photos are (in the attic).

I can offer proof that it's in the Lourve try http://www.usask.ca/antiquities/Collection/Child_Goose.html.

If you looking for proof of other statements, well I may have recollected incorrectly - the one we saw in the Lourve was not bronze (I don't think) and is probably a similar Roman copy (from 3 BC) but not the original.

The original Greek piece was bronze and likely dates from 150BC (which of course makes much more sense). (More on http://www.mlahanas.de/Greeks/Arts/ChildGoose.htm).

One day (if I ever get a scanner) I might dig up the other photos.



.... I can't find much commentary on this but one of the links above suggest that perhaps it was a gift to a child who had over come some sickness.

It strikes me that it may be symbolic of our struggle against the forces of nature to tame and control our environment. Or then again since fowl were a popular victim of abuse in Greek sculpture perhaps it’s a jealously thing … your know … beat of the things that can fly.


Of course since "The goose was the sacred bird of Aphrodite" and aphrodite was the goddess of Love. Perhaps it prepresents our struggle with Love and how we are like childern in this regard - tender, emotional and with out control....


OR perhaps they just liked birds eh ! and it looked nice in the hall (next to the umbrella stand)

No comments: