< Linux on a SparcStation >
Recently I picked up an old SparcStation IPX (Sun4c) from a colleague here in Trintech (Thanks Ray). Kevin Lyda had helped Ray put Redhat Linux 6.0 on it some time ago but unfortunately the NVRAM (sun's equivalent of a BIOS) was shot and the thing didn't boot. I later discovered that just the battery in the NVRAM. From reading Mark Henderson's excellent NVRAM FAQ I managed to boot the thing by setting the appropriate values in the NVRAM. However you need to do this every time you power up. Getting an NVRAM chip could be tricky so I might try this battery hack one of these days !
Still seems to be a few problems with some of the partitions on the machine but in does actually boot. I be having some more fun with this soon.
<Wireless>
I see www.bite-ltd.com based in Clare has gone bust - the Guy who ran it alias "Mayhem" used to be active on irishwan.org but strangely ALL his posts vanished when I went looking !! Some one was asking if anyone had tried to build there own antenna on one of the boards there and I relayed my story and gave a few links.
< Work >
Still a wonderfully strange place to work ! Voluntary Redundancy happens today. Quite the eery feeling about the place this week.
Thursday, June 13, 2002
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment